Ok, so as many of you may be aware, Nintendo's Wii U hasn't been selling nearly as well as one might expect. I contribute this dilemma to a multitude of factors. Namely, the Wii U came out of the starting line a "wii" bit too early (pun intended) and seeing as how the competition hasn't yet arrived (not until E3 2013), players and game developers are largely going to overlook the console until the full trio arrives (apparently with newcomers i.e. the Steam box and others hot on their trail). The second factor that's worth mentioning is the lack of third party support (a significant problem and stigma carried over from the original Wii) and even first party support. Nintendo had announced in a Nintendo Direct segment that for the months of January and February that little to no first-party games were going to come out for their console...and with only a few games that are readily available, gamers such as myself, are STARVING for some hot titles.
Even so, there is some hope. I'm happy to look forward to games such as:
- Bayonetta 2 (Platinum Games)
- Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag made by Ubisoft (I bypassed getting the third game because I've never played the first 2 titles in the series and I had heard from friends and reviewers that the game did not live up to its expectations)
- Watch Dogs (Also made by Ubisoft)
- The Wonderful 101 (Platinum Games)
- Injustice: Gods Among Us (Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment)
Even though these four titles are on the top of my "watchlist", I'm sort of disappointed in the lack of variety...here's to hoping that Nintendo can still be the supreme leader in the gaming industry for the next four years.